Friday, November 28, 2008

DO NOT bad mouth your teaching colleagues

This happened in my middle school dyad which is why I'm posting it here; however, I think it applies anywhere. I was visiting other classrooms in other subjects and one of the teachers I visited was very negative about his workload and his lack of power in comparison to other teachers. I am sure he felt he had a legitimate grievance but I could feel my respect eroding immediately when he downloaded on a relative stranger. I was not in a position to help him and after that conversation, I saw him as a complainer rather than an effective teacher.

Knowing how the listener feels, I will be very careful in the way I voice my opinions about my teaching colleagues. He was the opposite of being professional which really brings home the importance of behaving professionally.

No comments: