Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Video Teaching



I found the above video after a quick search of "Middle School Math" on YouTube. He does a perfectly fine job of teaching how substituting variables works, and the video also serves as a refresher for the Order of Operations. I think this video would be a great addition to a math curriculum, but as a stand-alone video I would only expect the self-starting students to understand the substitution method after watching this video.



I was shown a similar chart in either 6th or 7th grade Language Arts, and it has stuck with me since. According to the learning pyramid chart, the information in the above math video would be retained by 30% of the students. Again, I think the math video was well put together and has all the facts down pat, but even with a perfect video, only 30% retention will occur, and that is not good enough. Having this video in a lesson that also includes practice doing the methods and discussing the substitution of variables afterward, would be a great way to include this video in the classroom.

No comments: